Friday: Jesus Died for Our Sin
Read: Luke 22:54-23:1-56
When Jesus was arrested, His disciples followed Him at a distance. A woman saw Peter and told him that she knew he was one of Jesus’ disciples, but Peter said that he wasn’t three times just as Jesus said he would. Jesus had a trial before the religious leaders and then the government leaders. The government leaders did not think he deserved to die, but the crowds did, so they sent Him back to the religious leaders who decided to kill Jesus. They put Him on a cross and He died a very painful death in order to pay the penalty for our sin.
1. How do you think Peter felt when he denied Jesus three times?
It was a risk to be connected with a man who claimed to be God. Maybe he was scared they might arrest him next. Maybe he was ashamed he was one of Jesus’ disciples. He probably felt very guilty for not standing up for Jesus.
2. Did Jesus forgive Peter after he denied Him so many times?
Yes. One of the first things Jesus did after He was resurrected was to forgive Peter for denying Him. Jesus is just as willing to forgive our sins today.
3. Jesus was hurt really bad! Think of a time when you had broken a bone, scraped your knee, had a hangnail or paper-cut. Jesus had felt so much pain he sweat blood. Why did He go through all of that pain?
Jesus suffered and died so we could become close to God again since sin was separating us. (Remember when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit and God couldn’t be close to them anymore because they sinned? God is too Holy to be so close to sin.) Well, Jesus broke that curse so we could be close with Him again!
4. If Jesus is also God, and God can do anything, why do you think he let the religious leader hurt and kill Him? Could there have been another way?
Jesus let this happen because He knew this was God’s plan. This was affirmed in the Garden of Gethsemane, and so He trusted God even though He may
have been scared. There was no other way to pay the penalty for our sin because we needed a perfect sacrifice.
5. This day is called Good Friday. Why do you think it is good?
It is the day our sins were forgiven and we now can have a relationship with God.
1. Use tape to create the shape of a cross on a piece of paper. Have kids color or paint over it anyway they want. When the kids are finished coloring, remove the tape to reveal the cross.
2. Draw a cross on a piece of paper. Put a picture of your child or help your child put their picture in the middle of the cross. On the top write, “Jesus died for” and on the bottom write, “But He has risen!” Allow kids to decorate however they like.
3. Act out the story and have the kids play Peter and then the rooster.
Worship Songs and Videos
Were You There – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJ0IjLAmOAg
God So Loved – https://youtu.be/XnD5mO-C5bQ
King of Kings – https://youtu.be/Of5IcFWiEpg
God loves you so much that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus, to die on a cross for you ___________(insert child’s name). He says that you are His child, worthy of His love and that He has a purpose and plan for your life. “God is able to do far more than we could ever ask or imagine. He does everything by His power that is working in us.” Ephesians 3:20. God’s power lives in you ________________(insert child’s name) and as you trust in God and pursue Him, He will provide all that you need.